Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bargain Dresser




My Husband and I went to Frankilin Idaho, which is just past Logan Utah for thier pioneer day to visit my aunt and Uncle who had a booth set up. Well there was a yard sale going on down the road and my aunt asked if I wanted to walk over there with her. I said sure. So we get there and there is this dresser sitting there. Its old and needs some TLC, but it was the right height and size I was currently looking for to use as a TV stand in our bedroom. I asked the lady how much, and she is debating, I am thinking she would say like $20 or more, she says $3 and its more of a question as if I would think that was too much! I was like sold! Mind you were were driving my little Aveo at the time, and I didn't think about it fitting, although it did fit, thankfully. I brought it home and painted it and bought new hardware. the hardware costed about $27, and I already had the primer and paint.


So I came home cleaned it really good inside and out with Amonia. Sanded it down a bit and primed it with some adhesion primer. I painted it with a couple of coats from a can of paint that I got at Lowes, though it was supposed to be black the lady said it was black and just mixed it, when dry it is kind of a charcoal gray. I am not really impressed with it. My bedroom set is black, you can tell it is a different color.



At any rate here is what it looks like for now. I think I at some point if I ever run out of projects am going to refinish it again and spray pain it, or roll it so I don't have all the brush marks. I may even do it a cream or turquiose color and maybe glaze it. This way it stands out in my room. This was one of my first projects when I started out this last summer. Not sure if I love it. I love the hardware, not so much the color. The original hardware was wooden knobs and they weren't even all there.

Also, the insides of the drawers were really bowed and falling apart and I wanted to use it to hold all of our DVD's. The drawers had slide in bottoms, so I took them out and fliupped the bowed part around and put wood glue in the slots, slid the bottoms back in and then used little brad nails to make sure they were good and in there.


I want to make a duvet cover and curtains for our master bedroom, and when I do that I think I will put matching fabric in the bottoms of the drawers when I re do it again. It was a nice starting project. But I know that I can make it look even better. I want it to make a statement and I know that it will eventually get there.. But for now... here it is... a work in progress.

Fit all our DVD's perfectly.








No comments:

Post a Comment